Thursday, May 10, 2007

Renovations!!

We've been spending a lot of time doing minor renovations before the big one starts at the end of the month. I'm so excited!!!! The contractor says that the excavator is booked for the end of May. The house reno should take approximately three months to finish. And we'll have a beautiful new set of rooms for the kids! And a bigger closet for us. And a rec room. WOW!!!

So far, DH and I have torn up the carpet in living room and dining room, put in laminate floor. I put beautiful blue ceramic tiles in the front entrance piece - tiled, grouted and sealed myself! I/we drywalled, mudded, painted, linoleumed, facilitated the quarter bathroom downstairs. I painted it a dark sea-blue and stenciled fish and bubbles everywhere. I hand painted details on the fish and sea critters. It looks really cool - like walking into an underwater world! I love it and I'm very proud of it!!

Last month, we've been outside in the yard. We cut a path through the shrubs in the back by the shed. I lined it with stones from the old pond and put solar lights along it. There are gnomes and fairies and jeweled insects, a birdhouse and feeder. I'm planting flowers by the pile of large rocks by the fence so there's a pretty spot to sit at. We pulled out the horrible karreganas that bite and when finished clearing it all out along the back fence, putting in some emerald evergreen aborvitae to hide the yard from outside it. I set up my flowerbed. I have designed how I want my new pond to look like. We had to remove the old setup cuz the diggers would be running over it. I want to tear out the railroad ties lining the driveway and plant flowers there too. The ant nests inside might be an icky problem. We want to build a playhouse/fort for the kids at the back of my path but that will wait til we have some leftovers from the renos to use.

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun designing the house and the yard. DH is pleased with my results and he is more than willing to help create the finished product. I got myself a real wonderful man this time. I'm greatful.

Onwards and upwards!!!

No comments: